MCMTA 2016-2017 Music Theory Tests
Spring Test: February 3, 2018 (Make-Up Test: February 4, 2018 - 1:15 PM)
Online registration only. Registration deadline: December 15, 2017 – NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED
Registration Fee: $11.00 per student. Fees may be paid online when registering or by checks made out to MCMTA (see online registration form for details). Checks must be postmarked by the registration deadline.
All students must be registered Student Affiliate members to participate.
- The NEW syllabus is in effect for grades 1-9.
- Grades 10-12 will test on the OLD syllabus.
- You can find the new requirements and the new review tests at www.tmta.org
Student Arrival Times:
|Grades 7-12:||9:00 AM||Main Entrance|
|Grades 4-6:||9:30 AM||Family Life Center|
|Grades 1-3:||10:30 AM||Family Life Center|
|Parents are not allowed to go with student to their testing room.|
Required Testing Level
- To be eligible for theory medals and other awards, a student must test at the school grade level. Homeschooled students must declare a school grade upon enrollment and take the test at that level.
- No student will be allowed to take a test above the current school grade level. Such tests will be considered ineligible and will be returned to the local chair.
- Students who skip a school grade or who are promoted during the year will be required to take the test at both grade levels for medal and award eligibility.
- A student may not take the theory test on two levels during the same testing period.
- Students that repeat a grade must test no higher than the current school grade, even if it means repeating a test previously taken and passed. The student will be eligible to earn a medal.
- Students in Grade 1 must pass the Level 1 test.
- Students in Grades 2, 3, and 4 must pass at either current school grade level or ONE level below.
- Students in Grades 5-12 must pass the test at a minimum of Level 4. They must advance at least one level higher each successive year and may skip levels until they reach their current grade level.
- Documented special needs students may remain at the Level 4 test level if unable to pass a higher grade to qualify for any SA activity. These special needs students must pass the 4th test level each year with a minimum score of 70, but may attempt a higher test. Further exceptions are at the discretion of the Coordinator.
- To be eligible for ensemble, original composition contest, or performance contest, all tests must go through the grading process: Local ensemble, original composition, and performance coordinators must verify theory eligibility.
- A student is required to take and pass the test on only one level in order to be eligible for ensemble, original composition, and performance, even if that student has skipped a grade in school.
- Teachers that register students for testing are required to help administer tests.
- Teacher assignments will be sent during the week prior to the test.
- Teachers may not administer the tests to their own students, however, if scheduling requires teachers and their students to be assigned to the same testing area, the teacher must refrain from talking with their students.
- The criteria for a student to take the make-up test is:
- School activity conflict.
- Out of town on the test day.
- This is not an optional test day. Please adhere to the above reasons for sending a student.
- Teachers are expected to monitor at the test if any of their students will be there.
- Medals are awarded to students scoring 90 or above on a test taken at his/her grade level and state-graded. Students that do not take a test at their grade level will not receive a medal.
- Gold: 98-101 Silver: 94-97 Bronze: 90-93
- Certificates of Achievement are available for students that score 70 or above. Teachers are responsible for ordering them for their own students at www.tmta.org.
Teacher’s Theory manuals are available to purchase at www.tmta.org under "Forms."
MATERIALS TO BRING:
Each student will need two well sharpened #2 lead pencils (no mechanical pencils) and a clipboard (in case a table is not available).
WAITING DURING THE TESTING:
There is a small area in the Family Life Center for parents to wait, however, we encourage you to feel free to run errands, go for coffee, etc. The students are well supervised and they will return to the Family Life Center upon completion of the test. You will need to come inside to pick-up your child. Older students that drive themselves to take the test may leave upon completing their test and turning it in.
It is very important that the church be kept as quiet as possible to allow the students to fully concentrate on the test. No talking in the hallways or while waiting in the Family Life Center. Cell phones should be muted and calls should be made outside the building. Please keep clear of the entrance area once you have checked in and help us to keep the halls clear for groups of students to move through. We greatly appreciate your cooperation!
|MAXIMUM TESTING TIME:|
|Grades 1 - 3||60 – 90 minutes|
|Grades 4 - 9||2 hours|
|Grades 10 – 12||Up to 3 hours|
We appreciate the opportunity to have the STUDENT AFFILIATE THEORY TESTING available for your children and thank you for helping us to make this a successful day for all.